Flooding can happen just about anywhere, so it’s best to be prepared to know what to do when it happens. Although it’s unavoidable, you can still prepare for it by knowing what to do if your house floods, and being ready to reach out for water damage restoration services in Mesa, AZ after you’ve contained the problem. Here are the first steps to take if your home floods:
- Turn off/stop the water: If the source of the flood isn’t an act of nature like a rainstorm, you should be able to turn off the main water valve to the house to stop the water flow. It’s a good idea to know where this is located before an emergency to enable you to act quickly if the time comes.
- Turn off electricity: Don’t walk through water to get to the fuse box, but if you can get to it, turn off the power to your home. Call an electrician if you can’t safely reach the fuse box.
- Keep records: It might not be the first thing on your mind in this type of crisis to take notes, but doing so will help with the insurance process in the aftermath. Taking photos or video, even a few short clips, can not only provide solid evidence but also help you jog your own memory of the events.
- Evacuate the building: You will want to make sure everyone gets out of the home as soon as possible. Yes, this is because nobody wants to get soaked, but depending on the source of the flood, there may be hazardous sewage or debris in water that you’re unaware of. Make sure all adults, kids and pets are accounted for and safe outside of the home.
- Call for help: Once everyone is safe and accounted for, now it’s time to think about who to call for help. If there’s a medical emergency, call 911. Other than that, you’ll want to call your insurer (if you’re a homeowner) and explain that there has been water damage. Be sure to ask if you can begin the cleanup immediately or if you need to wait for an adjuster to come and visit your home first. If you’re a renter, call your landlord and explain the situation.
- Begin cleaning up: The cleanup process can be long and arduous, and you’ll need to take proper safety precautions to avoid contamination with any bacteria or other hazards you may encounter. A company specializing in water damage restoration services can help with this efficiently and effectively.
- Keep an eye out for mold: The silent scourge of mold will need to be monitored in the days and weeks after cleanup. Black mold especially can be harmful to your health. To avoid a mold problem, keep areas that flooded as dry as possible. Treat any mold issues with a heavy-duty cleaner, like bleach.
Get water damage restoration services in Mesa, AZ
When you need help with water damage restoration services as well as plumbing in Mesa, AZ, call the team at PlumbSmart Plumbing Heating and Air.
Categorised in: Water Damage Restoration