If your garbage disposal seems to have given up, the issue is probably due to one of several common problems. Fortunately, you may be able to handle the repairs yourself. Many garbage disposal repairs in Mesa, AZ are quite simple DIY fixes.
Use the following guide to garbage disposal fixes in Mesa, AZ to get your disposal up and running again. Of course, if you need assistance, don’t hesitate to contact your local professionals at PlumbSmart Plumbing Heating and Air:
- Broom it: If your disposal is jammed, an easy fix is a broomstick. Place the broomstick into the drain and gently pry the broom handle against one of the blades. This can often free up the jammed mechanism and allow your blades to rotate freely once again.
- Reset it: If your garbage disposal stops working, look for a reset button on the bottom of the unit. This is usually located underneath the sink somewhere on the disposal. You may need to get under the sink with a flashlight to locate it. If you press this reset button, you may find that your disposal begins working again. If not, contact the experts at PlumbSmart Plumbing Heating and Air to walk you through additional DIY options.
- Drain it: If your disposal is not working because your drain is clogged, try this home remedy. Boil a medium-sized pot of water and pour it down the drain. Next, pour one cup of baking soda and a mixture of one cup water and one cup vinegar down the drain. After you’ve poured all of this into your drain, cover it for 10 minutes. Then, flush the drain with another pot of boiling water. The combination of acidic reaction, bubbles and boiling water can help remove any clogs in your pipes.
- Maintain it: You’ve probably heard that putting ice cubes through your disposal will help sharpen the blades. Unfortunately, this isn’t true. There’s really nothing you should be putting into your disposal to try to make it run better or smell better. (Lemon peels may be harmful over time.) To properly maintain your disposal, simply run plenty of hot water through it occasionally, with a little vinegar.
- Repair it: If you try these DIY garbage disposal fixes in Mesa, AZ and are unsuccessful at resolving the issue, don’t hesitate to contact professionals. Beyond these simple solutions, more extensive repairs may be needed for your disposal or other plumbing components. An expert can quickly determine the cause of the problem and make the necessary repairs. This will save you additional time and headaches.
Call for backup
At PlumbSmart Plumbing Heating and Air, we aim to level the playing field for consumers who are caught off guard by excessive service fees by providing the highest quality service, combined with the best warranty in the industry, at the lowest possible price. We make it our goal to exceed expectations in every job we do. For industry-leading garbage disposal repairs in Mesa, AZ, contact our team today. Reach out to us for more DIY tips or to schedule professional repairs!
Categorised in: Garbage Disposals